Cabinet War Rooms in London
Behind the address of Clive Steps, King Charles Street, was a well-kept secret during World War II: the British underground command center. Today the so-called Cabinet War Rooms are a museum. During a visit to this unusual facility, visitors learn, among other things, that even the former employees had little knowledge of the entire function of these rooms for reasons of secrecy.
One of the main attractions in London
The Cabinet War Rooms in London have been available to tourists for guided tours since 1980. The building was built at the time in 1938 when Austria was annexed to the German Empire. In anticipation of later armed conflicts and possible air raids, the British government decided to create a bunker and thus a protected area for the planning of the Allied forces. Under the direction of the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, 115 meetings of his cabinet took place there.
Protected rooms for situation reports
The Cabinet War Rooms were completed on August 27, 1939, exactly one week before the British declaration of war on the German Reich. The decisive factor was the German attack on Poland. The Cabinet War Rooms were located in close proximity to St. James Park at a depth of 16 meters below the Treasury. Here officers of all armed forces prepared intelligence situation reports in the map room. During the war, the ceilings were reinforced with concrete and the bunker was expanded to include bedrooms and offices.
Direct connection with the USA
The Transatlantic Telephone Room was also located underground, from which there was a direct connection between the British Prime Minister and the American President Franklin D. Roosevelt. However, these conversations were bugged by the German Reichspost. After the end of the Second World War, the premises were declared a historic site in 1948 and later opened to the public by a decision of Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. The War Rooms and the adjoining Churchill Museum received the Museum Prize in 1996 from the Council of Europe.
Roman Baths Museum
this is how the Romans lived in England
The Roman Baths Museum is located in the heart of the World Heritage City of Bath, England. Here the Romans built a magnificent temple and bath complex on the site of the only British thermal spring. The structural remains and the associated museum with artefacts from Roman times are an excellent destination for study trips. Here the effects of the Roman occupation in Great Britain can be experienced first hand.
History of the Roman Baths
Bath’s history is closely tied to the natural hot springs on which the city was founded. The first shrine at the hot springs was built by a tribe called Dobunni, who dedicated it to the goddess Sulis. In 43 AD the Romans conquered Great Britain, who built a religious spa complex on the site, which later developed into a bathing and socialization center called Aquae Sulis, “the waters of Sulis”. After the Roman retreat from England in the early 5th century, the complex was neglected and fell into disrepair before being destroyed by floods.
In the 17th century, doctors began to prescribe drinking the thermal water for diseases. The first pump room opened in 1706 so that patients could access the water directly from the source. In 1878, Major Charles Davis discovered the remains of the baths and exposed them over the next few years. The complex was opened to the general public in 1897 and expanded and conserved in the course of the 20th century. In 2011 the Roman Baths were extensively renovated in order to preserve them for the future.
When is the best time to visit the Roman Baths?
The Roman Baths can be very crowded, especially in the midsummer months. Most coach trips from London arrive around noon. It is therefore a good idea for independent travelers to go to the baths early in the morning upon arrival. In July and August there are opening times until late at night.
London Zoo is the oldest scientific zoo in the world. Opened in April 1828, the area was supposed to be used as a collection for scientific studies. In 1831 or 1832 the animals from the Tower of London menagerie were added to the zoo’s collection. The current park was finally opened to the public in 1847. Today the area is home to around 800 species with 20,000 animals and is one of the largest, oldest and most famous zoos in the world. The zoo is also sometimes referred to as Regent’s Zoo. It is usually open every day and is located on the northern edge of Regent’s Park.
One of the oldest and most famous of zoos, London Zoo is home to a wide variety of animal species in an equally large number of habitats. Holidaymakers and London tourists will quickly forget that they are in the center of London, as you can quickly immerse yourself in the wildlife on walks through the zoo. The zoo is huge and almost every species of animal you can imagine anywhere in the world can be found here. The highlights include the gorilla kingdom with western lowland gorillas, colobus, mangabeys and monkeys. The Rainforest Life exhibit is a walkable habitat for rainforest animals, including sloths, armadillos, and sunbucks. This area also has a darkened area for nocturnal animals such as water rats and blind cave fish. One of the most popular outdoor areas is the Mappin Terraces, which recreates the surroundings of the Australian outback, where visitors can see kangaroos, wallabies and emus. There’s also a special section for kids called Animal Adventures, which includes familiar and tame pets like rabbits, goats, and llamas, as well as rarer breeds like meerkats, aardvark, and mongoose.
Perhaps the most famous building is the Reptile House, which opened in 1927. Exotic reptiles such as rattlesnakes, crocodiles, boas, mambas and chameleons live here. The reptile house is perhaps also known to children and those interested in film through its appearance in the film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.